What is an Electronic Travel Authorization? (Audio)

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new requirement for foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries arriving in Canada by air, whether to visit the country directly or to pass through in transit.

Do I need an Electronic Travel Authorization?

You need an eTA if you are travelling to Canada by air from a visa-exempt country. A full list of visa-exempt countries is available here.

The following are exempt from requiring an eTA:

  • Those who have already obtained a valid visa to enter Canada.
  • Anyone entering by land or sea.
  • Armed Forces visiting Canada on official duty.
  • Students who have a valid Canadian study permit dated on or after August 1, 2015.
  • Flight crew, civil aviation inspectors, accident investigators.
  • Temporary Foreign Workers who have a valid Canadian work permit date on or after August 1, 2015.
  • French citizens who live in and are travelling from St. Pierre and Miquelon.
  • Persons entering from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, while holding valid status in Canada.
  • Accredited diplomats.
  • Canadian citizens and dual citizens (provided you are travelling on a Canadian passport)
  • Canadian permanent residents (you need your PR card or point of entry documentation)
  • US citizens (US permanent residents, or green card holders, DO require an eTA when travelling by air)